I know I know, it’s been FOREVER since I updated you about how my healthy journey is going. Ok maybe not forever but it has been a few weeks. If you are a regular reader, and I hope you are, you have seen all the work I have been up to on the blog. And although I have written about everything but working out I have been staying active and eating right.
The title is working out no matter what because I have had to push myself this past month. Between crazy deadlines, prepping for not one but two parties (Disney Side and my girl’s birthday), being sick, and the polar vortex, gym time has been hard to come by.
Despite all that I squeezed in a few runs, zumba, and even tried out a body works class. When the gym was not going to happen, I worked out at home. Using my huge exercise ball and my wii fit help me stay determined to be active no matter what my day brought. When I find time to workout when it seems like it is impossible, I want someone to stand behind me blasting an awesome theme song. Why can’t life me like the movies?
For all my fellow busy moms and dads, try out my tips for Fitting in Fitness
Removing toxins from your life is the topic tonight on Mamavation TV. I encourage you to join in and learn from the experts! My favorite toxin-free tips are avoiding chemical based lotions, sunscreens, body washes, etc. If you have sensitive skin like I do it is crucial. But even if you don’t, your skin is your largest organ so take care what you put on it. What you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body!
What is your favorite toxin-free tip?
I’m not just asking you I’m directing the question at myself too. I refuse to make resolutions but I do have healthy living goals. In order to maintain my goals and yours, we all need a plan of attack. Words are just words without actions behind them. Are you lacking a game plan for your 2014 self? No worries ZonePerfect and I are here to help.
It can seem daunting to do a 180 in your life and make drastic changes. Some people can do that and are successful, I like to call them aliens. For those of us from planet normal, all that does is set ourselves up to fail. Deny yourself chocolate and the first chance you get to go face down in it you will. It’s not pretty.
That’s why I am all about the small steps, small changes that over time lead to big results. Once you get use them, bigger changes can be made and you won’t feel overwhelmed. We all have to start somewhere and remember doing something means you are far ahead of anyone still parked on the couch. I know you can do it and we will make ourselves better together!
So let’s get started with these fitness tips from ZonePerfect including my 2 cents:
- Swap a snack: prepare ahead of time some high protein, simple snacks. Trail mix, carrots and hummus, I really like apples with peanut butter. But if you need something quick, grab a ZonePerfect bar and be ready for whatever your day throws at you.
- Move Move Move: I am an avid gym rat but I am a mom, wife, and woman first and realistically I cannot get to the gym every time I want to. The goal here is to get moving. Active video games can be a fun way for everyone to work in fitness. Park farther away from the store and get extra steps in. You can even jog up and down the stairs, the point is just do something.
- Listen to Your Mother: Or in this case your blogger. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. By eating a balance breakfast full of proteins, vitamins, and nutrients you are starting your day off right and you won’t be starving by lunchtime.
- F is for Fruit. V is for Veggie: Try to add one to every meal. Mix smoothies with both for a yummy and on the go friendly snack. Add berries to your yogurt, veggies to your sandwich
- Scouts Honor: It happens to us all, we aren’t hungry and then bam all of a sudden we are starving and could eat a horse. The only options are usually nothing healthy for you. How can you avoid the sudden onset of I’m sooooo hungry? One way is to keep a ZonePerfect bar in your car, purse, gym bag, diaper bag etc.
- The Forgotten Lunch: We all get busy and forget to eat. Keep some nonperishable single serve items at work like tuna, nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter, crackers, and ZonePerfect bars.
- Get in Your Zzzzzzone: Sleep is important, we all know it. So get some!
- Fad = Bad: There is no simple, easy, quick weight loss that actually works. Unless you count photoshop. Eat better, exercise more, and make a doable plan that fits your lifestyle.
- Water you Drinking: Water keeps you hydrated, helps keep headaches away, and it also helps you feel full longer. I always drink a glass of water before I eat. To jazz it up add lemon or lime wedges for a little something extra.
- Vitamin B-Healthy: Most people are deficient in some way. Talk with your doctor about which vitamins you are lacking and make a food plan or grab a supplement that will help you get what you need.
On the go running errands or heading to the gym, ZonePerfect helps me to stay fueled for my day and on track with my health goals.
To end this post of inspiration, I will write a letter to my future self (feel free to steal for yourself)
I know it was hard and sucked running so much and going to the gym a lot. You were tired, sore, and sometimes just plain stubborn. But look at you. No seriously, stop reading and look in the mirror. Hard work pays off. You wanted to tone up, you wanted to train for a half marathon and you did it. You persevered and stayed on track almost all the time. Hey we all fall off somedays. The important thing is you never gave up. Now that you’ve conquered this mountain it’s time to find another one. I know we can do it!
Me/You however you’re suppose to end something like this….
What are your plans for this year? Do you have a plan to make them happen? Share below and help encourage others with your awesomeness!
Disclosure: I am a blogger for the Blog Forward challenge with ZonePerfect. Although I was provided with free product for the purpose of this post, my opinions as always are my own.
Week 2 is starting off pretty rough. My plan today had been to come home, work a bit, hit the gym for a run then do mom stuff before Zumba tonight. Well that is not happening. Our truck decided to start acting funky, making me not want to drive it anymore. There goes my gym plans, not to mention other errands I really needed to run! Silver lining in all of this: I should still be able to make Zumba tonight, things around the house I have been neglecting I can work on, and best of all my best friend is coming to my rescue so we get to hangout.
Last week I was good about my running. I’m slowly getting back into stride (pun intended) but I am not pushing myself too hard. Even though I feel like I could totally run longer than the app is saying I know from experience that I will probably end up hurting myself.
Saturday I started the Skinny Limits 3 day cleanse. The juices are made with real produce and freshly pressed before being shipped to you. I have to say, it’s tough for me because I am not a fan of liquid veggies. My husband however loves it and that taste. For me, it’s definitely an acquired thing. All in all though a cleanse hasn’t been so bad. I think I will start doing one every few months. Have you ever tried a cleanse? What did you think?
Join in on the Mamavation Twitter Party for tips about health, fitness, and win some prizes too! http://www.mamavation.com/2014/01/mamavation-detox-weight-loss-boot-camp-18-twitter-launch-party.html
This was suppose to be the day I restarted my race training and got myself back in the groove of working out like it’s a job. Since we got some sleet/freezing rain and nice icy roads school was closed today. That means no running. That sucks because I had the urge, momentum to get back on track but at the same time it was a blessing because I was not looking forward to setting the alarm clock! I will go to the gym tonight though and get in my Zumba then tomorrow if school is open I will go running.
Restarting my fitness goals also means drinking more water and trying to not indulge too much in sweets and treats. I’m not a lover of drinking water. At one point I was doing great and dare I say even was starting to like water. Then something happened, and that was out the window. So I’m starting back at square one with forcing myself to drink more water and less tea/coffee/milk/anything that isn’t water. Upside: I feel more energized and clean does that make sense? Downside: having to pee all the time like I’m preggos.
I am excited to say I am officially signed up for my next Color Me Rad race. I ran one last year, read all about why it’s so RAD, and fell in love with it. In fact it made me want to do more races, which I thought hell would freeze over before I ever said something like that. Even though it is in the negative in places around the US I’m telling you it hasn’t frozen over, I actually like running.
Being stuck inside means it’s time to get creative with fitness ideas. Noone can use the excuse I can’t get to the gym as a reason for not exercising.
What is your favorite indoor exercise?
Oh hey there 2014. I could say something cliché like, can you believe it’s New Years Eve? But I won’t. I mean I am like woah it’s the end of a crazy year for me but I am looking forward to the New Year.
I don’t know about you but I am not the one who makes resolutions. Every year I hear people say these are my resolutions or they make a list of goals. And more than likely they do not follow through. I think people think of resolutions as something that they should do because everyone else is, but without an actual plan it’s just words.
That is one reason I am excited to welcome back to my blog, Mamavation Monday/Mighty Mom Monday. A weekly post about fitness and healthy living with other bloggers that I know. This will help me get and stay on track with my ongoing goals.
First order of business in 2014 is getting back on a consistent….I’ll say that again CONSISTENT gym schedule. Twice a week Zumba, and 3 days a week running. To help force me to run again, I am signing up for another Color Me Rad race. It was so much fun last time I did it that I cannot wait to do it again. Since I am so far off my running game, seriously I was doing 3 miles in under 30 mins ugh!, it looks like I will be restarting the Couch to 5K app for the race.
Nutritionally, I have been doing a lot better. Still buying organic, nongmo products and working on doing a makeover of my household products. It is a daunting task to think about how much stuff in your home is actually terrible, but slowly but surely I will make my home and life as green as possible. That’s to say without living in a BPA/BPS free bubble breathing filtered air.
What about you? 2014 is here do you make goals?